, , , ,

Fashion | Tête-à-tête with designer Hema Kaul

Tuesday, December 02, 2014


I couldn't be any more ecstatic to have been invited to an afternoon party showcasing the Hema Kaul Autumn Winter 2014 collection and to have had an interview with the designer herself.


Dubai based designer Hema Kaul had graduated from the National Institute of Fashion Technology 10 years back and had been designing during her spare time from running her family perfumery business. She started her fashion label full fledged in 2010 and has since become a household name in Bollywood and is seamlessly establishing herself in the global fashion platform. Fans of the label include Kajol, Neha Duphia, Shruti Hassan and Amrita Rao, just to name a few!

Hema Kaul ready to wear Autumn Winter 2014 collection is full of classic cuts and feminine silhouettes that flatter women of any age and features. 



From the detailed work, you will notice the attention poured into each and every piece. The intricate cuts and bead work catches your eye immediately. And I have fallen in love with Lace all over again.


Excerpts of my interview with Hema:

Me: How did it all start?
Hema: I have always wanted to be a Fashion Designer. When I took my aptitude test in school, the result was Fashion Designer. I did my Fashion course 10 years back from NIFT (National Institute of Fashion Technology) in association with Manipal University Dubai. The dream was put on hold as my dad wanted me to join the family perfumery business as back then there was not much scope for fashion. But fashion has always remained a passion of mine.

In 2010, I started designing for friends and people I know. Then when I got an opportunity to showcase at the London Fashion Week, that was it. I decided to launch my Fashion Label as this was the best platform one can be it. That is how we formally launched it. 


M: Who's your inspiration behind your designs? 
H: When I design, my eternal muse is Sarah Jessica Parker. I have grown up watching her play Carrie in Sex and City and I look up to her. And also very very influenced by the Vintage era. I feel when an individual spends so much money on designer garments that it has to be justified for, so it has to be a very classic outfit which can be worn at any particular time. 


Me: What would you say are the AW trend colors to be worn?
Hema: Ox blood. Its the hottest color that one can have. Anybody can look superb in this color. And yes, the Navy blue also is a stunning color and the Blush color which I feel is an evergreen. Its good for the day and good for the evening. These are my favorites for the season.


Me: Who is your favorite designer?
Hema: I love what Sarah Burton is doing for Alexander McQueen now. Its very feminine. The way she has actually taken it to a different direction from what McQueen used to do. And of course Chanel for the feminine cuts.


Me: What can we expect from Hema Kaul Label in the near future?
Hema: I am divulging into little bit of prints. For 2015, we are actually having an artist sketch the whole theme which is in my mind and she has sketched it out for me and we are going to have it printed on the fabrics. I am going on a little low on the embellishments and giving more emphasis on the prints. I want to give a little contrast to what I do but keeping it classic and a little embellishment which is always the signature Hema Kaul. And doing prints on lace. Again lace is my signature. We are going very fairy tale theme. Very different from what I have been doing in my past collection. 


Hema Kaul was one of the 28 designers selected from around hundreds of applicants to showcase her designs in the recently concluded Vogue Fashion Dubai Experience. If this is an indication, her next collection is a something to watch out for.

Hope you enjoyed this post. Leave your comments below and don't forget to check out the full Autumn Winter 2014 collection here.

Much Love!

You Might Also Like

0 comments